The recognition and popularity of silkscreen printmaking is constant both here in LP and other studios. It’s adaptable, visually striking, and supports high volume production – you can make great prints, and make a large edition of them. Silkscreen is highly versatile as it can incorporate text, photography, line, and mark–making, plus many layers of colour. The method produces really clean, punchy images with a strong graphic quality that understandably appeals to people who enjoy visual art in many forms – graphic design, typography, photography, printmaking and design.
In silkscreen, details stay crisp and sharp while colour pops off the page. It’s ideal for creating posters, flyers, signage, or striking layered colour prints of photographs.
The process itself involves transferring an image to a mesh screen. The treated image blocks out the negative space so that when ink is firmly pressed through the screen using a squeegee, only the desired areas are printed onto the paper/fabric.
LP’s two-day intensive course will guide you through the entire process under the guidance of LP’s silkscreen tutor Derek O’ Sullivan.
This course will include:
• Studio health & safety/best practice
• Image selection and preparation/colour separation using software
• Screen: Mesh sizes/screen selection
• Process of transferring images to screen using photo sensitive emulsion and exposure unit
• Printing: Registration of image, ink/paper selection, printing technique, trouble shooting, creating multiple colour prints
• Cleaning/storage of screens
Dates: Sat/Sun 9th/10th June
Times: 10am – 5pm on both days
Fee: €165/ 15% discount available for seniors/students/those not in f/t time work
Location: Limerick Printmakers, Bridgeland House, 3 Johns Square, Limerick
Booking: Contact LP on +353 (0) 61 311806/email email@example.com
Silkscreen Weekend Course at Limerick Printmakers