Deadline for Stage 1: Friday 30 November, 5pm.
The community at Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh, Knocknacarra, Galway would like to commission an artwork/artworks for our brand new school building under the Percent for Art Scheme operate by the Department of Education and Skills.
They see this as an opportunity to contribute to our building and/or school life with a number of captivating artworks and they are excited to find an artist, artist(s) or collaborative artists to fulfill this brief. Professional artists are invited to be cognisant of their desire to include staff and children in the creative process, where possible. Varying approaches are welcomed as well as collaborative proposals between different artists and artforms.
Artists’ proposals are invited to be:
• Sensory, vibrant and imaginative
• Original and innovative
• A stimulating interactive experience for our school community.
• Should show an understanding of our school ethos, daily activities and environs
• Durable, safe and easily maintained (in the case of a physical artwork)
• Value for money
Please note: Fluency in the Irish language is not a requirement to be considered for this commission, however, the artist(s), the process and final artworks, should be cognisant of, and sympathetic to the central role of the Irish language in the school and the school’s identity.
Budget: €51,500. This figure must provide for all costs associated with the production and installation of the art work including expenses, VAT, insurance and all other expenditure.
The Selection Panel
A Professional Artist, an Architect, the project Curator, Local Authority Arts Officer, Principal of the School, Deputy Principal of the School
and a Teachers’ Representative.
This is a 2-Stage Selection Process
Stage 1: Expression of Interest: The selection panel will shortlist up to 6 individual or collaborative artists from documents received (2-page CV, Description of Practice (500 words), Examples of recent work, References)
Stage 1 applications:
An applicant’s or collaborative artists’ Expression of Interest in this project should consist of the following:
• An up-to-date C.V. (no more than 2xA4 pages)
• A short description of their art practice and its’ relevance to this project (max 500 words).
• Details of experience considered relevant to schools (%art schemes are not a pre-
• Minimum 4 examples of recent work (web-page reference, CD/DVD or USB will suffice)
• Names of 2 referees and their contact details
• Indication of notice required by artist to begin work on project (if applicable)
The above should be submitted in Hardcopy Only in an envelope clearly marked ‘Percent for Art Scheme’ to:
Dairíona Nic Con Iomaire, Príomhoide, Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh, Lána an Mhuilleora, Cnoc na Cathrach, Gaillimh.
Stage 2: Artists selected at Stage 1 will be invited to see the school, develop their proposal, and will receive a stipend of €500 (incl VAT) on receipt of proposal.
Download the Coimre Choimisiúin/Commission Brief at: gmapercent.com
For further information Contact: Hilary Morley, %Art Curator at email: email@example.com
Percent for Art Commission | Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh, Galway