Waterford Healing Arts Trust (WHAT) has issued an open call to artists of all arts disciplines to apply to be Artist in Residence at University Hospital Waterford (UHW) in 2019.
The WHAT Artist in Residence programme is a means of engaging patients in contemporary arts practice and an opportunity for artists to develop their professional practice within an acute hospital context. The main focus of the residency will be the artist’s engagement with patients in University Hospital Waterford in participatory / collaborative arts experiences. The successful artist will receive a studio space for a six month period in the WHAT Centre for Arts and Health, artist fee and support from WHAT staff.
The artist will be given:
• Studio space for a six month period with access to a digital darkroom, arts and health library, dance floor in the multi-use studio space, access to a bank of musical instruments, access to a group workshop space, internet and administrative support as requested
• A fee of €5000 to include materials and / or production costs.
• Mentoring support from WHAT staff
The artist will:
• Engage (part of) the patient population of the hospital in participatory and / or collaborative arts experiences
• Host an open day in his/ her studio space
• Produce a short report at the end of the residency
Interested applicants are invited to attend a briefing session in the WHAT Centre for Arts and Health on Tuesday, 29 January at 2pm. Please phone 051 842664 or e-mail WHAT@hse.ie no later than 25th January to book your place. Applicants must be available for interview the week beginning 18 February 2019.
Waterford Healing Arts Trust (WHAT) is Ireland’s leading arts and health organisation. Established in 1993, WHAT brings arts experiences to the bedsides of patients at University Hospital Waterford (UHW) and other healthcare settings. WHAT believes that the arts contribute to the wellbeing and vitality of society and that engaging with the arts stimulates the participant’s sense of identity and creativity.
The Artist in Residence scheme is funded by the Arts Council. Further details are available from waterfordhealingarts.com/…artist-in-residence-2019/ or (051) 842664.
Open Call | Waterford Healing Arts Trust Artist in Residence 2019