The deadline for applications: Friday 3 August, midnight
The Art House is happy to announce a new opportunity for a writer to develop new work and receive a bespoke package of support and mentoring for their practice.
In partnership with Unlimited, the individual will be commissioned to write a series of texts which could be around some of their commissioned works, Unlimited: the Symposium, Southbank Centre’s and/or Tramways’ Unlimited Festival, as well as having a budget to work on their own writing practice. In addition to this, the selected writer will be able to seek professional mentoring from writers or curators whom they will select, alongside receiving a series of 1-2-1 sessions with programme staff at The Art House and Unlimited.
The selected writer will receive:
- £1000 bursary towards researching and producing new writing.
- £1000 fee (4 x £250) to produce four texts based on the work of Unlimited’s artists, alumni, support and events which will be supported by Unlimited.
- Up to £850 towards mentoring from appropriate writers or arts professionals, to be selected through discussion with the individual, Unlimited and The Art House.
- At least three 1-2-1 mentoring and support sessions from The Art House programme team and Unlimited or Shape Arts.
- A budget toward travel and accessibility as necessary (ie. childcare, physical assistance, interpreter or assistant etc).
This opportunity is the first of a number of opportunities for individuals developing practices in curating, writing and producing, led by The Art House. Each year they will work with a cohort of four individuals to work on projects across the UK with a series of key partners. The successful applicant will be invited to attend joint learning events across the different projects, and will have the opportunity to share or publish their work in a variety of formats.
Who can apply:
The Art House are looking for someone who has experience of writing in an arts context, and is looking to build on their existing practice. They should have original ideas, ambition and a passion for writing and its value to arts practice. They should have a great understanding of contemporary visual art and the issues which surround it, and be willing to take on feedback and suggestions for how to develop their work.
This opportunity is only open to a disabled person. Please see the Shape Arts website for more detail: shapearts.org.uk/news/social-model-of-disability
Applicants must be over 18 years of age, based in the UK and not in full time undergraduate education.
If you have any questions or queries about this opportunity, or if you would like the application in any other format please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Call to UK Based Artists | Writing Associate at The Art House, Wakefield, West Yorkshire