This commission is a site-specific or a material-specific commission intertwined with the Cork Opera House’s former TOYOTA roof signs. Originally hung in the 1980’s as part of a partnership deal between motor company Toyota and Cork Opera House.
To honour the place these signs have held in Cork city folklore the National Sculpture Factory and the Cork Opera House are offering an artist an opportunity to re-commission the remaining letters; their material or parts thereof into a new temporary artwork that could be installed during this year’s Cork Midsummer Festival 2019.The red Perspex and aluminium (1.5m) letters are now currently in storage awaiting their new life.
The open call includes:
1. The remaining letters from the TOYOTA signs. (roughly 14 letters + 1 Logo)
2. A €2,500 production budget.
3. 1 Month free studio space at the National Sculpture Factory
(this can only be taken up as part of this commission and must be taken up in the months prior to Cork Midsummer Festival 2019)
All applicants must submit :
1. A project proposal – max 2 pages. Outlining the artist’s response to the brief and how this informs the final proposed work.
2. An up to date C.V.
3. Examples of previous work or previous commissions.
Open Call | Site-Specific Work for Cork Opera House, TOYOTA Roof Signs