Application deadline: Friday 4 May
Visual Artists Ireland, Northern Ireland invite curators to take part in New Spaces. New Spaces is year long programme of 16 contemporary art exhibitions in four unconventional spaces across the Derry City and Strabane District Council area. Curators will be selected from an open call and will each produce four exhibitions over an eight month period. Each exhibition will run for up to 4 weeks.
View the full project brief here: New Spaces – Call for Curators
● Create opportunities for artists and curators
● Increase the number of skilled arts professionals/producers
● Retain talent in the region
● Develop long-term private sector partners
● Enhance the reputation of Derry City and Strabane as a centre of artistic excellence
We are currently in the process of finalising the venue partners. Venues will be high footfall, unconventional spaces in the Derry City and Strabane District Council. Confirmed at this stage are the Walled City Brewery, Gwyn’s Café and Pavilion, Brooke Park and The Cottage, Craft Village. The final venue is to be confirmed.
The programme will include a programme of support and mentoring for selected curators that will be delivered by Visual Artists Ireland in partnership with local arts partners, Void gallery, CCA, Derry~Londonderry, and Nerve Visual. The mentoring programme will see participants work with experienced curators to develop their proposals, gain project management skills and enhance their professional networks.
A two-day workshop – Project Management for the Visual Arts has been scheduled for the 17th & 18th May in Belfast.
Curators will each produce four exhibitions, one in each of the four venues. It is anticipated that the first exhibitions of the programme will open on 23rd June 2018. The details of all exhibitions in the programme should be finalised prior to the programme going to print at the beginning of June.
Each exhibition has a budget for one artist, or artist collective. There is also a limited budget for transportation of artworks and installation costs. Budgets must agreed in advance with the project officer. Special consideration should be given to project logistics within proposals.
● Curators will receive a fee of £250 per exhibition
● There is a fee of £200 per artist or artist collective (one fee per exhibition)
● There is a limited budget available for travel and transportation
● There is a limited budget available for installation costs
How to Apply
Curators are invited to submit proposals for two exhibitions according to the brief.
● Detailed proposal for Walled City Brewery and Gwyn’s Café and Pavilion, Brooke Park
● Covering letter that outlines your suitability according to the criteria above (no more than
one side of A4)
Send your applications to: email@example.com
If you have any questions about the position please contact Rob Hilken on the above email address or by telephone on 028 9587 0361
Open Call for Curators | New Spaces Project, Derry