Application deadline: Friday 26 October, 5:30pm.
Dublin City Council and Visual Artists Ireland invite applications for the Art Writing Award 2018. The DCC / VAI Art Writing Award was launched in 2012 as a development opportunity for art writers in Ireland. The award reflects the commitment of Dublin City Council Arts Office and Visual Artists Ireland to encourage and support critical dialogue around contemporary visual arts practice.
The winner of the 2018 Art Writing Award will receive a €1000 honorarium comprising:
• €500 award for the winning entry, which will be published in the Visual Artists’ News Sheet;
• €300 commission to develop a text responding to The LAB Gallery’s 2019 programme;
• Appointment to VAN’s writer panel, with two shorter commissions amounting to €200;
• Editorial support and mentoring from VAI’s publishing department.
Previous award winners: James Merrigan ‘The New Collectivism’ (2011); Joanne Laws ‘Commemoration – A Forward-Looking Act’ (2013); Rebecca O’Dwyer ‘Attentive Festivalisation’ (2015); Sue Rainsford ‘Serpents and Clay’ (2016).
All art writing practitioners based in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are eligible. Submissions should comprise:
1. A review of a recent exhibition, event, festival, public artwork or similar that has taken place in Ireland. The submitted text should be no longer than 800 words. Reviews that have previously been published (in print or online) will not be accepted.
2. A current CV including details of any previously published writing.
Submissions should be emailed to Features Editor Joanne Laws at: email@example.com with ‘ART WRITING AWARD 2018’ in the subject line.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Open Call | DCC / VAI Art Writing Award 2018